Victoria Island (VI) is a very opulent area of Lagos State located between Lagos Island and Lekki Peninsula. It is located within Eti-Osa Local Government Area (Iru Victoria Island Local Council Development Area). Victoria Island was originally surrounded by water before the Colonial Government began sand-filling the swamps. This culminated in the construction of the expressway connecting VI to Epe. It is bordered on the south by the Atlantic Ocean, on the West by the mouth of Lagos, to the North by the Five Cowrie Creek, and swamps on the East.
Today Victoria Island is home to many domestic and international corporations/businesses and has a few residential areas including the Oniru Private Estate. Victoria Island was predominantly residential but became more commercialized as the years went by. The area offers an array of world-class hotels, exotic restaurants/dining spots, shopping complexes, bars/lounges and nightclubs; It is the entertainment hub of Lagos State. One can see/feel the beauty of Victoria Island during the weekends when there is little or no traffic.
You can drive through easily, go out for lunch after Sunday service, eat in or take out (NOTE: Eko Hotel does not do take out, it’s a buffet service, you eat as much as you can). Residential areas in VI include Molade Thomas Street, Samuel Adedoyin Street, Sinari Daranijo street, Jide Oki Street, Younis Bashorun Street, Palace Rd, Oniru.
Victoria Island is also the financial hub of Lagos State. There are at least 3-4 branches of every bank in Nigeria in VI. Banks such as Zenith Bank, GTB, Access Bank, Fidelity Bank, Ecobank, Diamond Bank, and Skye bank have their Head offices in the area. VI also hosts most of the Embassies, Consulates/High Commissions – US embassy, British Deputy High Commission, Italian embassy, Austrian, German, Canadian embassies to name only a few.
Major Landmarks in Victoria Island:
- Civic Centre (Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue) – Civic Centre is one of the most important convention centres in Lagos. It is a venue for many national and international events.
- Eko Hotel and Suites (Ajose Adeogun)- one of the most prestigious international hotels in Lagos. Eko Hotel is definitely a place to stay when in town for business or pleasure.
- Eko Atlantic, an ongoing project located along Ahmadu Bello Way
- Landmark Centre (Water Corporation Drive, Oniru) beside Hard Rock Cafe– offers one of the best locations for social events, conferences and exhibitions.
- 1004 estates- (Ozumba Mbadiwe Av)- comprising of 1004 flats/apartments, it is one of the largest high rise estates in Nigeria. Built-in 1979 as an upscale estate for senators and political personnel. Rebuilt in 2008 to give a more modern look. It is a safe location to live in with other features such as safe terrain for walking/jogging.
- Nigerian Law School is located along Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue.
- Oniru Private Beach, a clean, secure beach located on Water Corporation Way, Oniru.
- Mike Adenuga Towers (Globacom HQ)- Mike Adenuga Close off Adeola Odeku.
Investing in property in Victoria Island is a very lucrative business because of the high value of properties and increasing demand.
Information Source: Neighborhoodreview.com
Need a Property in this Neighborhood?
[gravityform id=”1″ title=”false” description=”false”]